Start of main content
Bankia included in the FTSE4Good indices, which recognise the world’s most sustainable companies
02 March 2017
- This international indicator recognises companies with the best corporate governance and environmental and social management
- It is the second global sustainability index that Bankia has been included in following its addition to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI)
- These indices help international investors that want to invest in the most sustainable companies
Bankia has been included in the FTSE4Good series of indices after being independently evaluated and meeting all of the necessary requirements.
This indicator, created by Russell Global which provides the FTSE indices, recognises companies with the best corporate governance and that manage their businesses to the highest international environmental and social standards.
Bankia obtained a score of 4.5 points out of 5 -the maximum score- after being assessed across more than 300 indicators.
Bankia is one of only 25 Spanish companies to be included in the FTSE4Good
Only 25 Spanish companies from different sectors are currently included in the FTSE4Good indices.
"This recognition reflects the work carried out over the last few years to make Bankia one of the best and most responsibly managed companies. Joining the index is recognition of our work and helps us to continue down this path we have begun", said Bankia's Director of Reputation and Corporate Social Responsibility, David Menéndez.
In 2016 the bank was selected to join the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI), another prestigious international indicator for evaluating the world's most sustainable companies. In this case, the index assessed the bank's corporate governance and transparency, its management of non-financial risks, tax policy and the social and environmental impact of its business, among other aspects.
Only 27 banks around the world form part of the Dow Jones Sustainability Index, of which only three are Spanish.
Following its inclusion in the FTSE4Good indices and the Dow Jones Sustainability Index, Bankia has become one of the most globally recognised banks in terms of sustainability, defined by its corporate social responsibility.
These indices also help international investors, usually institutional investors, that are looking to invest in the most sustainable companies.
Last year, the MERCO corporate reputation monitor also included Bankia in its index for the first time in ten years and ranked its chairman, José Ignacio Goirigolzarri, among the top ten chairmen of Spanish companies.
Furthermore, the Spanish CSR Observatory announced that Bankia's social responsibility report was the second best among the major listed Spanish companies.
Related press releases
- “We are coming to the end of the Restructuring Plan, financially sound, in a leading position in terms of profitability and solvency, attracting new customers and winning market share in key segments”, said José Sevilla
- The first graduates of Bankia Fintech by Innsomnia present their projects to the bank
- Goirigolzarri: “We have received 4.6 times more mortgage applications since we abolished mortgage fees”
End of main content